Mail Your Tax Return with USPS
Use the U.S. Postal Service® to file with confidence on tax day. Find the right products and services to fit your tax day needs.
Federal Tax Deadlines
If your return is postmarked by April 18th, the IRS considers it filed on time.
April 18, 2016 – Federal tax return filing deadline.
October 17, 2016 – Federal tax return extension deadline.
Use PO Locator to find locations that will be open late to postmark your tax return. Partner locations that provide postal services do not offer late postmarking, so verify their last collection hours.
- Be sure to use sufficient postage. Double-check your envelope. Does it weigh more than 1 oz? Tax returns without enough postage will be returned.
- Write clearly. Print labels on your computer or neatly write both the destination and return addresses. Not sure where to mail your federal tax return? Our knowledgeable staff can help.
- Avoid the rush at the Post Office. Mail your return in a Collection Box® that has a pick up time before the deadline.
Mailing Options & Services
Choose how you want to mail your federal or state tax return and the extra services you want. We’ll get it where it’s going.
These mailing options apply a postmark to your return. If the postmark is by the deadline date, your return is on time.
Priority Mail Express®
- 1−2 business day delivery
- USPS Tracking® included
- Signature at delivery available Learn More
- 1−3 business day delivery
- USPS Tracking included Learn More
- 2−3 business day delivery
- Extra services can be added Learn More
Proof of Mailing Services
Show that you mailed the tax return, that your return was delivered, or both.
Return Receipt. Get an electronic or physical delivery record showing who signed for your tax return.
Certified Mail® Service. Get a receipt that shows when your tax return was delivered or when delivery was attempted. Combine with Return Receipt to get a record showing who signed for your tax return.
Certificate of Mailing Service. Have evidence that you sent your tax return. Get an official record showing the date your tax return was accepted.
Print Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail shipping labels with Click-N-Ship®.
Get First-Class™ stamps and additional mailing supplies from The Postal Store®
The Postal Service™ recommends that tax filers confirm all tax information with a tax professional or the IRS.