Get Your Message to Voters
Political Mail is an easy way to promote candidates and get messages to voters. Flyers, brochures, letters, and postcards are cost-effective, memorable ways to explain a platform, referendum, question, or campaign.
Political Mail vs. Official Election Mail
Political Mail may be sent from a political candidate, federal, state or local campaign committee, or political party.
Official Election Mail
The Postal Service™ has a number of resources to assist election officials. For the upcoming 2020 election, see details on vote-by-mail service standards, mailpiece design, the official Election Mail logo, prepaid reply mail, and more
Why Political Mail Works
Political Direct Mail is one of the most powerful ways to share accurate campaign messages with voters.
Save money by mailing to specific areas or addresses and by using inexpensive formats such as postcards.
Send mail to voters based on age, household income, and geographic location with Every Door Direct Mail®.
Craft messages and graphics to tell an impactful story about your candidate or campaign.
Preparing Political MailExpand All
Designing Political Mail
Design your own or schedule a meeting with a USPS Mailpiece Design Analyst (MDA) near you for advice and assistance on how to design your mailpiece and business reply return envelopes to USPS standards.
Contact the MDA Support Center by calling 1-855-593-6093 (Monday–Friday, 7 AM–5 PM CT) or by emailing email@example.com.
Addressing Political Mail
Before you send your political mailing, make sure your address lists are complete and correct. The right addresses aren’t just important for timely delivery; accurate addresses can help you manage mailing costs.
On our portal for large mailers, you can learn about a number of products and services, including software, to keep address lists up-to-date.
Reporting & Dropping Off Political Mail
Create Mailing Notice
- Complete our online reporting form at least 2 days before you plan to drop off your political mailing so the receiving Post Office™ facility is notified in advance.
- Drop off your political mailing at a Business Mail Entry Unit.
Report a Problem
To report any issues with your mailing after it is processed, use our online reporting form.
Helpful Resources for Political Mail
- Tag 57, Political Campaign Mail PDF (242 KB)
- Informed Visibility Mail Tracking and Reporting
- Informed Visibility® Mail Tracking and Reporting (IV®-MTR) Fact Sheet (from KIT 600) PDF (2MB) | HTM
- Steps to Creating Your Intelligent Mail® Barcode (IMb®) Fact Sheet (from KIT 600) PDF (2MB) | HTM
- OneCode ACS®
- Nonprofit Qualified Political Committees and State or Local Voting Registration Officials, DMM 703.1.3
- Mail Security RTF (48 KB)
- Why Print Still Works in a Digital World PDF (685 KB) | RTF (42 MB)