Replacing Money Orders


Money orders are safe because they’re replaceable. See what to do in each situation.


We’ll replace money orders that are defective, damaged during imprinting, or damaged during customer completion at no charge. Just return the negotiable portion of the money order and the matching customer receipt to receive a replacement.

Lost or stolen?

We’ll replace a lost or stolen money order for a fee. Just complete and submit PS Form 6401 Money Order Inquiry, available at your local Post Office™. Once we’ve completed a payment inquiry on the status of the money order, we’ll issue a replacement.