One Size Doesn't Fit All
This change means that our competitors now apply DIM weight pricing to most packages, while USPS only uses DIM weight pricing in very specific circumstancesSee Legal Disclaimer 3.
How does this change affect you? Enter your domestic package'sSee Legal Disclaimer 2 dimensions to find out. (Note: use whole numbers only)
USPS doesn't apply DIM weight pricing for packages smaller than a cubic foot in size.
But our competitors do. Contact us to start saving on your shipping.
Our competitors apply DIM weight pricing to most packagesSee Legal Disclaimer 2 this size, but USPS only applies DIM weight to packages greater than a cubic foot if they are also shipping to zones 5-9 and using Priority Mail.
Get in touch for more information on optimizing your shipping.
How is DIM weight calculated?
DIM weight is determined by multiplying a package's length, width, and height and applying a volumetric divisor. Our competitors use 166 as the volumetric divisor for domestic packages, while USPS uses 194See Legal Disclaimer 1.
Competitors' Weight: 11 lb.
USPS' Weight: 1 lb.
The estimated cost of shipping with
our competitors may have increasedSee Legal Disclaimer 2, See Legal Disclaimer 4
Shipping A Pair of Sneakers
Price by Weight See Legal Disclaimer 4$8.60
Price by Dimension
Shipping A Backpack
Shipping A Toaster
Weigh your shipping options.
When you ship domestically with USPS, you have a range of efficient and economical outbound and return shipping services to choose from, whatever your need. Plus, in September, we've reduced domestic Priority Mail prices for businesses and other customers who use Commercial Plus® Pricing and Commercial Base® Pricing online shipping servicesSee Legal Disclaimer 5.Schedule a Free Consultation
- USPS applies DIM domestically, but the volumetric divisor is 194 and only applies to Priority Mail® parcels larger than a cubic foot and going to zones 5-9.
- Recently UPS reverted to its 2014 DIM Weight pricing rules limited to domestic ground packages priced at the full Retail Rate (i.e., packages originating at a UPS Store or other retail counter/service center).
- In some cases, a domestic Priority Mail shipment within zones 1-4 only, and weighing less than 20 pounds, may be subject to USPS Balloon Rate pricing. Packages whose [Length (longest side)] + [(2xW)+(2xH)] is between 84" and 108" and meeting the foregoing conditions will pay postage at the 20-pound rate rather than actual.
- Based on 2015 rates calculated using Zone 5 UPS Daily & FedEx standard domestic shipping rates for FedEx Ground®, FedEx Home Delivery®, and UPS® Ground and the following package weights and dimensions: Sneakers: actual weight 2 lbs, 7" x 6" x 14"; Backpack: actual weight 1 lb, 12" x 10" x 6"; Toaster: actual weight 1 lb, 12" x 12" x 6".
- To be eligible for Priority Mail Commercial Plus® Pricing a customer commits to mailing the minimum volume required. Ask your USPS® Sales Consultant for service details and eligibility requirements.